Saturday, April 14, 2012

And a baby makes three..well, four if you count Chauncey

Well, it is official. After almost nine years of marriage, my hubby and I are having a baby.

A baby was totally out of the question up until…well, I turned 30. There was a time when I thought; maybe we would never have kids?

We were always too poor, we didn’t have enough time, we were too selfish, and we had any and every reason not to have a baby.

Until...we finally grew up.

Yes, we now have a nice house with fenced in back yard for our doggie and potential baby to play in, we have two cars that work (that we are still paying on), and we both have decent-ish jobs as teachers. Mr. Campbell is finishing up his masters degree this summer in Administration, I finally have a job that I like, and my parents are moving to Texas this summer—so it is as good a time as any.

I am almost 12 weeks along. Our official due date is October 28, 2012. I am hoping to be off for maternity leave until after we get back from Christmas break. I have about 8 weeks banked, so I should be ok. (I am keeping my fingers crossed that I won’t have any crazy complications or have to go on bed rest.)

Truly, I am starting to feel better as the pesky first trimester is coming to an end. However, it still doesn’t feel real. Besides a growing belly, my brain has not fully processed I am pregnant. Maybe I am waiting for flashing lights, or some sort of figurative lightning to strike my brain to say, “hey there, this is finally real…YES, there is a baby in your belly!”

One of my friends told me, it will start to feel real when I feel the baby kicking for the first time. She said the first flutters “feel like a June bug is flying around under the covers of your bed.” I am totally paraphrasing her, but, I think I have it fairly close.

Yesterday, my mom sent me this really cool Pregnancy Calendar from Hallmark. Leave it to my mom to find something like this; I can keep track of all sorts of memorable moments along the way. It has room for pictures and includes some really cute stickers, and funny quotes. For example, “Hormonal changes in your body can cause major mood swings. Try exercise, plenty of sleep, and doing things you enjoy…which at this point may include crying, cursing, and/or throwing things.”

I think I need to take a little time to start working on this calendar. I want to remember this pregnancy and all the fun stuff/not so fun stuff about being pregnant.

Maybe, in a few more weeks this whole baby thing will seem real?

2 comments:

  1. you nailed it. :) i'm off-the-charts excited for the campbells...love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So freaking excited. Must start knitting now. xox to you both!

    ReplyDelete

When you are recently divorced, the firsts are no fun...

One of my good friends gave me this advice, "When you are divorced, the first's suck." First birthday not as a family, fir...