Saturday, July 15, 2017

"Excuse Me. There is mustard on your shirt."

One day I will blog about the day my husband told me he wanted a divorce. The first and the second time and how I moved out...because... Today, I want to write about people's reaction to when I tell them I am getting a divorce.

You see for the first two months, no one besides my immediate family and one of my friends in my office knew I was getting divorced. I don't know why I didn't tell more people. But, when people did find out they would always say something like, "Wow. You are doing so well. I never would have known."

Well, there is a lot I would like to say to this.

Like "Thanks, I try to keep my shit together."

Or, "I am really not doing well. I am just good at pretending."

Or, "I have two girls under five. I have to keep things together."

Or, "It's because I have a great support system."

Or, "Do you expect me to be a mess? The first three weeks were awful, but I also realized life has to go on."

I usually just smile and modestly say, "Thank you."

It is just so awkward. One day I may get to a place where it is normal. Or, maybe I will make a t-shirt that says, "Yes, I am divorced and I am (almost) ok."

When I told my sister about the comments people would make, she wondered, "Do people really expect you to be walking around with mustard on your shirt?"

Luckily, I live with my parents. My mom would never let me walk out the door with mustard on my shirt. She would give me a Shout Wipe and wash my shirt after I left for work.

Seriously.


2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay I removed it because I basically said the same thing twice. This post is exactly why I love you. You're honest, real, and you aren't afraid to hide the messiness of life. August is just around the corner. Also I have learned that normal is whatever you decide it should be...my normal is pretty jacked up, but it's mine. {hugs}

      Delete

When you are recently divorced, the firsts are no fun...

One of my good friends gave me this advice, "When you are divorced, the first's suck." First birthday not as a family, fir...