Sunday, October 22, 2017

When you are recently divorced, the firsts are no fun...

One of my good friends gave me this advice, "When you are divorced, the first's suck."

First birthday not as a family, first Christmas, first flat tire, etc.

This week, I experienced another first. Tuesday was my oldest's birthday. She turned five, which is a big deal by any means.  

You would think that I would have been good at this now, the one year old had her first birthday in June. 

But, no. 

My oldest has been so excited for her birthday since her last birthday. When the calendar turned to October, she knew exactly how many more days until she turned five. 

My mom had offered to make dinner. 

Then, I made the mistake of texting my ex to ask him what his plans were. 

He wanted to take her out for dinner, or dessert, or something. He said that I could go with him, but, we have done dinner with the girls a few times and it is super awkward. It is even more so now that he has a girlfriend. 

So, initially, I didn't respond. My friend told me that I deserved "space and grace." 

The next day I told him he could come over for cake and ice cream after we ate. 

He didn't like that suggestion, but said he would be there. 

Of course my car broke down on her birthday, oh, and my dad had to have a heart procedure. (He should be fine.) 

It was quite a day. 

And, then about 7:00 my oldest asked where her dad was. 

I told her he would be there in about 30 minutes. He was. 

That sweet girl. She woke up at 3 in the morning and stood by my bed waiting for me to wish her a happy birthday. 

Then, I gave her a few of her presents and took her and her sister out for a birthday doughnut. It was a good start to the day. 

I think she enjoyed it. 

Yes, it was a first. We all survived. 


Happy Birthday, sweet girl. The awesome cake that my mom and dad made for her. Tie Dye/Rainbow cake. 








No comments:

Post a Comment

When you are recently divorced, the firsts are no fun...

One of my good friends gave me this advice, "When you are divorced, the first's suck." First birthday not as a family, fir...