Sunday, April 21, 2013

Sheep brains are cool and so is being part of a pilot program

In the fall, I applied to be part of a pilot program for a new program that Project Lead the Way (PLTW) is rolling out. It is their “Medical Detectives Unit.” It is geared around Biomedical Science/CSI-ish stuff.

My application was selected. This was pretty cool on various levels. One, I really enjoy teaching my other Gateway to Technology classes and this could be an exciting addition. Two, there are about 30 other teachers who are piloting this unit.
When you are selected to be part of the pilot that means PLTW will pay for your flight and hotel. You get to go through some of the curriculum and give feedback to the curriculum writer.
It is really cool. I added some details to a PowerPoint and some lessons today and learned a lot of things about DNA. I also got to dissect a sheep brain—which is much cleaner and less gross than you would think.
But, I have this nagging feeling of guilt.
One of my friends made a comment to me about how she has never left her two year old son overnight. If she did, she said she would “sob uncontrollably.”
My daughter is only 6 months old.
When my hubby dropped me off at the airport—I did not want to look in the back seat and see my precious baby girl. I didn’t want to say goodbye to her. I knew if I did, I would cry. She is very, very awesome.
But, I also have a very, very awesome husband. He is extremely capable and is a fantastic dad. He knows more about babies than I do.
Plus, my mom and sister are less than ten miles away.
Yes, I feel guilty about leaving my little angel. But, it has been really cool to learn some new stuff and meet some new people.
I get to go home tomorrow.
Oh, and only 31 more days of school left.

Then, I get to hang out with my girl every day.

3 comments:

  1. Can you get your hands on some fainting goat brains? That has always mystified me (the fainting, not the brains). I'm glad you got to go experience the CSI stuff, I know Little Miss was in good hands, and I am very thankful for your 'days of school left' countdown. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun!! I LOVED seeing you Campbell's at RFL. Kedzie is a peach! I would miss her too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ... and I realized in the speediness of my reply I added an ' in Campbells. Ugh. Gag. Edit button, please?

    ReplyDelete

When you are recently divorced, the firsts are no fun...

One of my good friends gave me this advice, "When you are divorced, the first's suck." First birthday not as a family, fir...