Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Bunions are not sexy...neither are orthopedic tennis shoes


After weeks of Webmding my symptoms, I finally decided to go to the doctor. I had been suffering from pain in my heels for over a year, but I figured that was an easy diagnosis. It was a no brainer--plantar fasciitis.  I bought inserts and did stretches but they really never got better. I was going to go to the doctor in August before school started back again…but decided against it.

But, lately I have had a “bony protuberance” at the base of my right big toe. DAAAAANG, it hurts and it is U-G-L-Y.  I have never had pretty feet, but  is was fairly repulsive.  I finally called and made my appointment. Yes, in November.  Better one year later than never, right?

I pulled into the podiatrist’s office and filled out all my paperwork. There was an elderly couple in the waiting room-- which made me think only old people go to the podiatrist. I also noticed they both had those all-black orthopedic tennis shoes on--while I am no fashionista, even I have standards.

 
A sample shoe for your viewing pleasure



Yep, I was hoping that the podiatrist would not prescribe me ugly all black tennis shoes.

He shook my hand, put his gloves on and looked at my feet. I took the fact that he didn’t look totally repulsed by my protuberance as a good sign. Then, he took some X-rays.

He came back in the room with some inserts and starting talking about the plantar fasciitis. I was right! But, I also have heel spurs.  Darn! That never registered on my Webmd radar.

 Lastly, the bony protuberance…it is not gout, (thanks for freaking me out Mom!) or arthritis, but it is a bunion.

Like black tennis shoes, bunions are not sexy.  And, according to my research and my podiatrist—my bunions (UGH, I am claiming ownership of them) require surgery for removal.

Surgery is scary. I think I am going to put this off as long as possible.  I mean, I have waited this long what’s a few more years?  Don’t worry if it gets this bad, I will reconsider.

 


Yep, I think she needs surgery. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

When you are recently divorced, the firsts are no fun...

One of my good friends gave me this advice, "When you are divorced, the first's suck." First birthday not as a family, fir...