Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Smelly Teenagers or Professional Development

If you are a teacher, and you have a week of Professional Development the week before school starts, you understand my pain.

These last two days have been brutal. I am at a new school and I am trying to get caught up on new acronyms and procedures—it really is a lot.

I told my dad today, I would rather have to teach a group of 100 smelly teenagers in no air conditioning than be subjected to another hour of PD torture.

Nonetheless, as I was suffering from brain overload, our principal decided we had had enough for today. So we got 30 minutes in our classrooms! PTL! I will take any time I can get.

Here is where I am at now:

-Those 19 computers that were in my classroom last week, well I got 10 more to join them. So, now I will have enough computers for my students!

-I am teaching two new technology classes. One is Project Lead the Way’s Gateway to Technology and the other class is a Game Design class. I am by no means a gamer, but I know that this is a very popular class…with 12 year old boys.

I am good to go on the PLTW class, but I was not exactly sure where to start with Game Design. Lucky for me, the other two technology teachers have both taught this class before, and they shared all their stuff with me! I am talking lesson plans, handouts, PowerPoints, everything.

This is a huge relief. I am used to working by myself and not having anyone to share the workload, or, I have also been the one that does mostly everything and then other people take my stuff. It is nice to have the "shoe on the other foot!"

-And, I called my sister during lunch today and she invited me to come to a new Tex-Mex Restaurant in town. I met up with her and her co-workers. One of her co-workers bought everyone’s lunch at the table. That was so nice! When I thanked him and asked him why he bought lunch he replied, “to be blessed you need to bless others.”

So true.

Yep, it is getting better. Tomorrow, we might even get more than 30 minutes in our rooms! Score.

No comments:

Post a Comment

When you are recently divorced, the firsts are no fun...

One of my good friends gave me this advice, "When you are divorced, the first's suck." First birthday not as a family, fir...