Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Quick Writes and Positive Praise

“Thank you.” “You are doing a great job.” Words that teachers say quite often to their students, but words you don’t often hear from your principal.


Today was one of those days that I received quite a bit of positive praise. I have to admit, it was pretty awesome, and I am one that really does not take compliments well. I always try to deflect compliments with some sort of witty joke.


Last week, our school librarian approached me to demonstrate a quick write strategy for several of my co-workers. My initial reaction was no.


But, then I thought about it. I am teaching a new class in a new program—no one really knows what I do all day.


I don’t do a lot of direct teach. This week, however, I was teaching my kids about the engineering design process. I found a cool video clip about the yike bike. It is a really cool electric bicycle that is also extremely compact.


Check it out at www.yikebike.com.

(It is really neat and the kids were super psyched about it—along with my principal and my fellow co-workers.)
We watched the short clip and then I had the kids open up their portfolios for their quick writes.


They have been keeping a collection of their best work throughout the year and they have some great stuff already. (I figured we could show off a bit for our audience.)


The kids did a great job. In their quick writes, they used words like eco-friendly, green technology, and one even said that the yike bike was “astonishing.”


I had several kids share out their answers and then our guests left to debrief.


I was so nervous. I had to reapply my deodorant in between classes.

After school we had a staff meeting to discuss some quick write strategies and what people had seen throughout the day.


People liked what they saw in my classroom. They liked that the kids were engaged and the portfolios. My principal told me about five times what an awesome job I did. (I kept thinking how I didn’t teach!)


As I was leaving work, he told me again and that he was really glad he hired me.


I told him in my six years of teaching I had never had a real thank you/good job from a principal.


It sure was nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment

When you are recently divorced, the firsts are no fun...

One of my good friends gave me this advice, "When you are divorced, the first's suck." First birthday not as a family, fir...