Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Learn to Grow...Getting my Master's Degree?

For a long time I had been debating...should I or shouldn't I get my Master's Degree?

In Texas it doesn't really seem to pay off for teachers...whereas in Michigan my mom made a lot more money having an advanced degree. 

But, on the other hand--if I want to get a promotion of some sort or work for a bigger organization/district in STEM (Science Technology Engineering and Math), it seems like I have to get my Master's. I have been talking about it and debating for almost a year. 

I love school. I love being in school. I love writing papers and since it's been over ten years since I have been in academia, I miss it a bit.  

After doing some research I found the University of Texas at Tyler has a STEM cognate with their Master's in Curriculum and Instruction. It is all online. It also appears that they are quite reasonable. I could get my Master's for less than $6500 as a Texas resident. So, if I decide to teach until I retire--it will only take me 6 years to move up the pay scale enough to pay off my Master's. 

Plus, I have actually been to UT Tyler. I have stayed in their dorms and eaten their dorm food. I lived on their campus for a month while I attended Project Lead the Way training. 

So, I took the plunge. I just applied. I am excited and a little nervous. I am fairly sure I will get in, but I am nervous about how I will be able to do all my mommy tasks and all my "me" tasks + work full time and teach 3 preps. 

I will be ok...right?

1 comment:

When you are recently divorced, the firsts are no fun...

One of my good friends gave me this advice, "When you are divorced, the first's suck." First birthday not as a family, fir...