Sunday, June 30, 2013

Cross country trip with an 8 month old

I am writing this post from my IPhone. We are wrapping up a ten day trip to Michigan with a 2 night stop in Nashville. (Nashville is my favorite new town, by the way.)

I was nervous on how things would go. We have an 8 month old. She is totally 100% fantastic 99% of the time. She really did great--and I think she might be starting to teethe. I saw a little white spot in the front. It hasn't come through yet.

Before the trip, I spent about $50 on new toys and snacks for the trip. However, it turns out I could have just given her empty water bottles and she would have been just as entertained.

One day, after driving about 8 hours, with one more to go, I did have to google a YouTube episode of Sesame Street.

Oh, and I sit in the back seat with her. We tried to let her go solo in the back seat, but she needs to hold someone's hand when she feels lonely.

She did great in the hotels, too. She would get fussy from time to time, but we got her to sleep without  incident. Granted she was in the middle of hubby and I on a king size bed, but I had visions of sleepless nights. Funny, the first night on the road we stayed in a Marriott in Little Rock, Arkansas. (Thank you Priceline.) It was a huge king size bed with many fluffy pillows. We put her in middle of the bed and she sprawled out like a queen.

So do I recommend road trips with all babies? Maybe if you are willing to invest in earplugs and don't mind hearing a baby cry..or you could sit in the backseat.

Just make sure you have room in your car to change a diaper. So many restaurants and truck stops don't have changing tables or if they do--they are pretty sketchy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

When you are recently divorced, the firsts are no fun...

One of my good friends gave me this advice, "When you are divorced, the first's suck." First birthday not as a family, fir...