Saturday, July 27, 2013

Time Marches On...You know you are old when you have to have knee surgery

I have been having some crazy knee pain for the last 4 months and when school ended I had decided to try to get it checked out. 

This summer I have had X-rays, an MRI, and a cortisone shot (which hurt more than my knee pain). My doctor determined that I have some issues with my kneecap. It sublexes (dislocates) and does not stay in the groove like a normal knee. This causes swelling and pain. It used to come and go, but for the last six weeks it has been really swollen and I have not been able to walk without a limp. 

I asked my doctor to write down my symptoms so I could google my options. 

After doing some research and talking to my doctor, I decided that surgery might help. My doctor will be performing a lateral release on Wednesday. He says I should be able to walk on it after 3-4 days and drive after 3 days. 

I hope so. 

I am nervous. I need to be able to take care of my little girl. I really can't do that on crutches. I also need to walk my dog. I can't do that on crutches either. 

At the same time, I figure my knee can't get any worse than it already is. 

Also, we have met our deductible for the year and met our out of pocket maximums too. I guess that is an advantage to having a baby in the same year. 

Keep your fingers crossed for me. 

I have got to get this knee back to "normal." 




No comments:

Post a Comment

When you are recently divorced, the firsts are no fun...

One of my good friends gave me this advice, "When you are divorced, the first's suck." First birthday not as a family, fir...