Monday, February 2, 2015

To the lone girl in my STEM class

Dear Lady,

I call you "lady," (its probably not the most politically correct) but you are the only girl in our whole cast of boy athletes...minus the 2 or 3 boys who are more artsy and less fartsy than the others.

I want to let you know that I think you are brave. It is not easy to be the only girl in a class of all boys. I admire you and I see so much potential in you.

I am afraid that I am not doing enough. I can't protect you from the comments that the boys make under their breath, or the times that you work alone…when everyone else has a partner.

I want to encourage you, and I try not to gush at the fact that you work so hard. I know that your hard work is going to get you farther in life than having a pretty face. Luckily, you have a pretty face and a strong work ethic.

You make me want to shelter my own daughter, but push her at the same time. I know she will be the only girl in her kindergarten class that can use a soldering iron, know how to make a series circuit and how to write computer programs before she can read. I want to teach her about "girl power" and how to stand up to those "mean ol' boys."

I hope I can convince you to stay with my class again next year, although I don't blame you if you pick another elective.

I don't know if this means anything, but because of you--I plan to work even harder to recruit more girls in my classes for next year.

I hope you realize that even though you are the only girl, you don't have to be the first one to help me--or to offer to clean up after everyone leaves…even though I appreciate it.

So for now, just know I am cheering for you. You aren't totally alone…I am here, too.

Sincerely,

Your teacher


1 comment:

When you are recently divorced, the firsts are no fun...

One of my good friends gave me this advice, "When you are divorced, the first's suck." First birthday not as a family, fir...