Thursday, March 17, 2011

Spring Break!

Spring Break

Ok, I will admit. I truly love my job, BUT I also love my vacation time. I figure I deserve it. If you don’t know a teacher, you may not know that teachers work over 40 hours a week. There is this myth in the “real world” that teachers have these cushy jobs, put in less than 40 hours a week, have nothing to do on the weekends, and get their summers off. I wish this was the case.

As a matter of fact, the week before spring break, I counted up my hours and I worked almost 60 hours. Granted, I had 4 meetings after school, but that is usually the norm, rather than the exception. The 60 hours is only the time I spent at school. I actually did quite a bit of work on the weekend, and that’s not to mention answering parent emails.

So, this week is spring break. No, I don’t do the crazy spring break thing. This week, I have slept in every day, I have run errands, I got a pedicure, I saw some friends I haven’t seen since the fall, I traveled to the zoo with my husband, I went to the eye doctor, and I did more lesson plans and Power Points for next week. (Maybe I do have a PowerPoint problem?)

I don’t know why I do this, but I always know exactly how many days there are from one break to the next. For example, when we came back from Christmas break I knew that spring break was 54 days away. Since we had a snow day, in February we won’t have another break until Memorial Day. But, if you are a glass is half full kind of person, there are only 51 more days of school left until the end of the year. I know, the countdown is weird.

I really do love my job, but there comes a time when those 60 hour weeks catch up to you. Luckily, there is usually a break right around the corner.

See you in 51 days, summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

When you are recently divorced, the firsts are no fun...

One of my good friends gave me this advice, "When you are divorced, the first's suck." First birthday not as a family, fir...