Monday, July 25, 2011

Help me, but not because I am a girl.

Training Week 2
Location: Tyler, TX

Project Lead the Way Gateways to Technology Training
I am all about girl power. I usually don’t let boys (including my husband) open the door for me. But, I will say during these 2 weeks, I have had no shame in playing the “please help me card.”

I know, it’s awful. I am not proud of it. But, there are only three girls in our class. There are about 20 boys in our class. When I start looking around, I usually have five boys close by that I can ask for help.

They are usually already done and are waiting for me to move on, so they notice my struggles and ask what I need. It is actually pretty awesome.

So, we are working on this ridiculously tough project where we are following dimensions to create a playground.

It is on a computer design system that is the bane of my existence--Inventor. I am learning more and more about it every day but this project is complete craziness.

There are a ton of parts to it, but no directions. There is a rock wall, two slides, monkey bars, all kinds of stuff and we have to create it all…line by line and pole by pole. It is not fun.

Of course most of the boys already have it done. So, they are willing to help.
I have learned how to do most of it, but when I can’t get something to line up right, I ask.

It is not a project we will teach our kids. It is only something that we are doing so we, as the teacher, can learn Inventor better. So, I am not worried that I am getting too much help.

Really, it’s ok to ask for help. Right?

But, I won’t let anyone carry my books or hold the door open for me. I still have some standards.

Plus, I don’t think my husband would like that very much.

No comments:

Post a Comment

When you are recently divorced, the firsts are no fun...

One of my good friends gave me this advice, "When you are divorced, the first's suck." First birthday not as a family, fir...