Wednesday, August 24, 2011

6th graders--please don't change!

Day 3 of school. I had to call a parent because her son was acting up…you know throwing paper across my room, then he was looking up guns on the internet, and then he started arguing with me when I told him to go sit down away from the computer. Really? It’s day 3! I thought the kids saved the “good stuff” for later in the school year.

I always get nervous when I have to call parents. You never know if they are going to argue with your or believe what you have to say. Thankfully she seemed pretty supportive. She said she would talk to him, and I told her I would move his seat.

I have a handful of kids that are challenging. I seriously think they knew I was new to the school and they were sizing me up to decide if they were going to act up, or if they would behave. The first few days of school are hard though because you aren’t teaching them anything but rules and expectations. I know it is boring to sit and listen to a teacher droning on and on about boring stuff.

Sometimes I wish I could be mean. Seriously. I don’t have a mean bone in my body. I really like kids and I find it hard to yell at them. I don’t usually have problems in my classroom. I have only made one boy cry in my whole 6 years of teaching. He still hates me to this day. I don’t know where I went wrong with him. (I know, get over it.)

Anyway, this year I teach all grades, six through eight. I absolutely adore my sixth graders. There is a world of difference between 6th to 8th graders. I kind of wish I had more 6th graders. They are so innocent and they still seem to like school. I guess when you get to a certain point in your life, like 7th grade—then you decide to hate school?

90% of the time I can tell if a kid is a 6th grader, but I have a really hard time telling the difference between 7th and 8th graders.

I hope my precious 6th graders--stay 6th graders all year and that they don’t get corrupted by the big kids!

Anyway, that is all for today. Thanks for reading my rambles.

No comments:

Post a Comment

When you are recently divorced, the firsts are no fun...

One of my good friends gave me this advice, "When you are divorced, the first's suck." First birthday not as a family, fir...