Wednesday, August 31, 2011

"Technology" Teacher

Week 2 of school…I am finally getting into the groove. I am still at work until 5 or 5:30 at night, but each day gets easier and easier.

I am thrilled to be able to start teaching the curriculum I learned at Project Lead the Way this summer. The kids are psyched about anything that has to do with engineering/projects. I even convinced them to write in their best “engineering” handwriting while they took notes on various procedures.

I showed up at school last week and I was greeted by a sign on my door. Under my name it read, “Technologist.” Ummmm…our district did away with technologists due to budget cuts. In no way do I want people to think I know anything about technology...because I absolutely do not. I probably put more technology work orders in than anyone else in the district.

Thankfully, I still know more about technology and computers than my students. Windows 2007 is a complete mystery to them, as is copying and pasting information.

My principal calls me the “STEM” teacher, which makes me feel really important. I even put it in my email signature line.

Nevertheless, I am glad that STEM is becoming more and more of a buzz word on our campus and in our district.

I even convinced my language arts husband to write a paper on STEM education for his grad school class.

I am sharing this link and then I need to put in some more work orders for my classroom computers.

It is from the U.S. News—it has news, opinions and STEM information.

http://www.usnews.com/news/blogs/stem-education

No comments:

Post a Comment

When you are recently divorced, the firsts are no fun...

One of my good friends gave me this advice, "When you are divorced, the first's suck." First birthday not as a family, fir...