Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Operation: Save the bunnies

As my hubby and I got home from work today, he let the dog out and said to me, “I think there is a dead frog in the yard. Chauncey seemed very interested in this spot in the yard.”

Once we got the dog safely into the house, Campbell went out to investigate. He came back in and reported to me. “Well, it is definitely something furry.”

The little fur covered den in our backyard.
I started to pray….please don’t let it be mice—or rats for that matter.  We live across from a farm, so mice/rats are a distinct possibility.

We went outside and hubby has the tip of the sprinkler in his hand. Whatever the creature is, they dug a burrow of some sort and then it was covered up with fur. So, he lifts up the bit of fur and we both peer in. I see ears and a lot of pink. I didn’t see a long tail, so I figure it is a rabbit. There are probably 3 or 4 of them in their little den.

Truly, we have had several rabbit sightings in the backyard. Luckily, our Labrador Retriever is not a seasoned hunter. He would much rather play with the rabbits than try to eat them. Sadly, for Chauncey the rabbits have a distinct advantage over him, they are fast and they can fit under the fence.

Upon doing some research, we hope they are not feral rabbits.  Apparently, feral rabbits are quite destructive and eat anything in their sight. Cottontails however are much less destructive and have fewer babies during the year.

A few hours later, I went back outside and noticed that there are many ants now in the area near the rabbit den/hole. I can just imagine those ants swarming the baby bunnies…so, hubby goes out in the backyard with the Orkin and tries to spray the anthill.  

Campbell out in the yard spraying Orkin.
If the baby bunnies can make it through the Orkin and whatever comes their way in the next 7-10 days, we should be in the clear.

In the meantime, Chauncey has now lost all privileges of going out in the back yard.

We just can’t take any chances.  

Good luck little rabbits.

No comments:

Post a Comment

When you are recently divorced, the firsts are no fun...

One of my good friends gave me this advice, "When you are divorced, the first's suck." First birthday not as a family, fir...