Tuesday, June 12, 2012

20 week gender scan...it's a....


Caution: Some of this may be TMI/obviously very unscientific....

We had our gender scan scheduled for over five weeks, and Monday was FINALLY  the big day. My husband and I had anxiously been awaiting this appointment. We are people who don’t like surprises/can’t keep surprises from each other. It is our first baby and we are so excited!

The doctor’s office had already changed our appointment from 9:00am to 1:30pm and then they called AGAIN on Monday to change the time from 1:30pm to noon. Ok, earlier is better, so I can’t complain too much. But, let the record show we are accommodating people.

We arrived and we got called back to the room fairly quickly. Everything is all set up. The nurse and technician came in. The technician says, “Sorry, we have to use this to measure your cervix.” UGH. Not the “wand.” I hate the wand…aka the transvaginal ultrasound.

(Hubby did promise that we could go to lunch at the place of my choosing due to the fact that the wand was used during this appointment.)

Then, they put the goo on my belly. The technician asks us if we want to find out the gender.

“YES! We can’t wait.”

She asks, “What do you think it is?”

“Honestly, I think it is a boy. But, my grandmother is fairly sure it is a girl because of how low I am carrying this baby.” (Really, I have no idea.)

So, she starts measuring and pushing on my belly to get the images she wants to see. She starts with the brain. Everything looks good. Then, she moves t o the spinal cord. Everything looks good. Heart has four chambers.  Next, she takes pictures of arms, legs and feet. Everything still looks good.

After about 20-30 minutes, the technician still has not told us if we are having a boy or girl. She hints that she knows what Baby Campbell is. Finally, I can’t take it anymore.

“What is it?” I ask.

“A……..girl.”

Wow. So much for mother’s intuition. However, I could not be more excited!  Girls are awesome! And, I can’t wait to see my husband holding our beautiful baby girl when she arrives in October.  That will be the coolest moment of all time.

We can’t wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment

When you are recently divorced, the firsts are no fun...

One of my good friends gave me this advice, "When you are divorced, the first's suck." First birthday not as a family, fir...