Thursday, October 24, 2013

Scary times to be a teacher

Maybe I am just overly emotional today.

But in the wake of two school shootings two days in a row, I will admit I held my baby girl a little tighter this morning.

Yesterday was one of those days that I just felt unsafe as a teacher.

I can't go into many specifics, but the days are becoming a little more frequent.

I hate that this has to come up at all.

School used to be the safest place you could be.

It was where you would go during a tornado, or to seek shelter during a hurricane.

People used to look at teachers as heros.

Now, crazed children are showing up to school with guns and box cutters.

I just want to see smiles on my students faces.

I just want to be safe at work and be able to go home at night and not worry about my students or my own safety.

No comments:

Post a Comment

When you are recently divorced, the firsts are no fun...

One of my good friends gave me this advice, "When you are divorced, the first's suck." First birthday not as a family, fir...