Sunday, May 17, 2015

A letter to my 8th graders

Side note: Since I have had this blog, I have enjoyed writing my students a blog post to reflect on the year.


This year I am feeling particularly sentimental as I am saying goodbye to my 8th graders who I have had for three years!


Dear 8th grade students of Lab 199,


What a long way we have come! I am so impressed with all of you. I can't believe how much you have grown and changed over the last three years.


When we first met, I was pregnant with my first baby. I had no idea what to expect and I worked so hard to get you into routines--when I came back and the sub had let you do whatever you wanted for three months, that made me so sad. After that summer, when 7th grade started, I was able to see you growing into the people that you are today.


Some of you, we had disagreements. I think you like arguing with me. A few of you had to do a little more of Learning.com than I would have liked, but I worked to make sure each day was a new one.


Now, you are moving on to high school. My "baby" is now 2 and a half. Thank you for oohing and ahhing over her baby pictures and asking me how she is doing. I love that about you. I also love how many of you asked me for mothers day advice--asking me "what does a mom really want?"


You helped me through this year--a transition, where my hubby no longer works at the same school as me. You ask me how he is doing, and tell me that you do miss him. I miss him, too.


I have seen you come into your own. Some of you had some big changes happen in your life--divorces, moving to a new house, loved ones have become sick, loved ones have passed on, and then the good things--new puppies, new babies, new hobbies, new friends...


You have learned a lot about STEM. You have completed some awesome projects and never given up. Some of you have never stopped working and learning even on Fridays during Genius Hour. You could have taken the easy route, but continued to work hard. Your hard work will pay off. 


I also loved the handful of letters you wrote me for teacher appreciation week. I loved hearing thank you and I appreciated it more than you will ever know. I cried when I read your notes, and when my 6th graders came in for advisory--they thought they were dealing with a crazy person.


Thank you for getting me. For knowing when to cross the line--yes, the one behind my desk, and the one by the door.


You all mean a lot to me. I feel like I say it every year, but this one has been my favorite.


Thank you for dealing with me for three years. (And no, I am not moving on to high school with you. Neither you or I want that.) Be safe this summer.


:) Love, Mrs. Campbell









1 comment:

  1. So sweet! They're blessed to have been under your guidance. :)

    ReplyDelete

When you are recently divorced, the firsts are no fun...

One of my good friends gave me this advice, "When you are divorced, the first's suck." First birthday not as a family, fir...