Saturday, January 7, 2012

A Taste of Home...Hotdogs for the Holidays

My mom and dad came to Texas over the holidays bearing gifts of Koegel's.

For those of you who don’t know what a Koegel is, it is a brand of hotdog that is made and sold in Michigan.

In my opinion, it is the best kind of hot dog.
(Disclaimer: I am not obsessed with hotdogs, but to me, a Koegel's hotdog is similar to prime rib. It is a rarity, something to be enjoyed from time to time.)

Koegel's logo is, “Serve the Curve.”

In the Flint area, where I am from, there are billboards all around town advertising Koegel's.

Anyway, my parents brought about 16 pounds of different types of Koegel's. They brought hot dogs and pickled bologna for all of the family here in Texas.

These Koegel's hotdogs aren’t just any type of hotdog—oh no, these are actually called Viennas--they have the natural casing and are fully cooked. They are 100 Delicious.  Seriously.

And then add in the pickled bologna. Truly, I am not a bologna fan. I gave up bologna when I was in 1st grade.

But, pickled bologna is another story.

 I have never eaten any other type of pickled bologna and I truly don’t think I can. Add a Ritz cracker and a nice piece of cheddar cheese and…heaven.

Or as I like to think, it is a little taste of home.

Since my parents will be moving to Texas, I had a slight concern that my hotdog connection would be lost.

 BUT...I just checked online and Koegel's has a shipper.

I think that will be the new gift I will give to my Michigan-transplanted Texans.

Oh, and guess what is for dinner.

A Koegel hotdog!

My mouth is watering already.


No comments:

Post a Comment

When you are recently divorced, the firsts are no fun...

One of my good friends gave me this advice, "When you are divorced, the first's suck." First birthday not as a family, fir...